38 Aetna Street, Worcester
About the Build:
After officially breaking ground on November 8th, 2016, Habitat for Humanity MetroWest/Greater Worcester has begun working on a single-family home to be built at 38 Aetna Street for a veteran family.
Originally a vacant lot, this property will become a single floor, 3 bedroom, 2 bath home designated for a veteran and their family as part of our Veterans Build Initiative. In addition to its inherent Age-In-Place design, this home will also be built as a “net-zero energy ready” home. In partnership with local companies, this home is part of a pilot program to create a standardized plan for affordable, net-zero homes. This will ensure that homes remain affordable as energy bills are kept low.
This project is also the second build as part of our Neighborhood Revitalization of the Union Hill area of Worcester. Thanks to many partners including the City of Worcester, the Oak Hill CDC, and Worcester Academy, we plan to remain building in Union Hill in order to have lasting improvements on one of the most depressed areas in the city.
Family Selection Eligibility Criteria:
We use three criteria to select families for our home build program:
1) Need for adequate shelter
2) Ability to pay a monthly mortgage
3) Willingness to partner with Habitat for Humanity MetroWest/Greater Worcester
These qualifications ensure that families purchasing a Habitat home are in need of affordable housing, have a strong desire to work for their goal, and will have the ability to pay for their home over a 25 or 30 year mortgage.
Habitat for Humanity MetroWest/Greater Worcester builds home with families, not for them. Selected families invest 400-500 hours building their own home or volunteer on another Habitat project.
How You Can Get Involved:
- Make a Donation!
- Sign up to volunteer (this project is not currently accepting volunteers, but we have opportunities in Auburn, Holliston, the ReStore in Worcester, and coming soon in Northborough).
- Organize your business, faith group, school, or other group to sponsor a team build day.
- Become an Aetna Street Home Build Sponsor. Levels and benefit options available for all business sizes.
- Make a Gift-In-Kind donation of building materials, labor, or services. Contact Deborah Huegel, 508-799-9259 x 118 or Deborah.Huegel@Habitatmwgw.org.
- Join a Habitat for Humanity committee to leverage community partners to support this project. Contact Deborah Huegel, information above.
Thank you to the sponsors of this project!
F.C. Chiodo Jr. Excavating & Paving
To Support this Veterans Build Project Contact:
Deborah Huegel, Director of Development Greater Worcester
508-799-9259 x 118
11 Distributor Road, Worcester, MA 01605
Offices are open: Mon-Fri 9:00AM to 5:00PM